Quick Search:     Title Author Description Keyword              Advanced Search

Monday, May 2, 2011

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Enclave, 1st in the Razorland series, by Ann Aguirre, who also writes as Ava Gray, is her first entry in the Young Adult market, takes place in a post apocalypse future.

15-year-old Deuce has grown up in an underground community where you aren't even given a name until you are 15, it's not worth naming "brats" as most don't survive. Deuce becomes a Huntress, responsible for helping to supply food and to protect the community by patrolling the tunnels surrounding the College Enclave. Deuce is teamed with not-quite-shunned Fade who didn’t grow up within the community and was only accepted because he could fight.

I really enjoyed reading Deuce's story and seeing how, as time went on, she begins to realize that maybe the Enclave and its "oldest," aren't perfect and maybe there is another way to live.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book - received an ARC of it from the publisher a couple months ago. I gave it a solid 4 out of 5 but I did find the plot to be somewhat derivative and, in the annoying style of most new YA SF/Fantasy, it ended in a cliffhanger.

    Honestly, I find Ms. Aguirre's contemporary adult fantasy to be far superior and her hard SF adventures even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Grimspace blew me away. I like the Ava Gray books too.

    ReplyDelete